I have given up eating sweets, so I have to find sweetness in my life in different places. Here are a few examples, and I am lucky enough to be able to pick and choose:
- That ten minute window between light and dark when the sky turns to aqua, gold, and pink fire.
- Friends who ask “how are you” and expect an answer.
- A daughter’s demand for a hug every ten minutes.
- Not being able to sleep because you want so much for the morning to come.
- Another adult telling me how great my kids are.
- Rekindling an old desire to do something and finding the fire was still burning after all this time.
- Being wanted.
- When you wake up at 2 am to a quiet house and anything is possible.
- The blank canvas of an unstructured day.
- To be loved, no holds barred, for what I am. (Unconditionally, even if it is only by a cat.)
- To have people around me that I want to love and take care of.
There are so many more, but these are just the few that occur to me this very moment. On this holiday, when sweet things are said, and sweet things are given, I just wanted to acknowledge some of the things I count among my treasures.